As much as possible, know thyself. Work hard to serve others and generate value. Become an expert, cultivate passions. Have high ideals and stick to them. Stay positive, be generous and tolerant in your thinking about yourself and others. Avoid judgment, and feel gratitude not entitlement for what’s come your way. Don’t try to change others — put that energy toward being your best self. Have compassion, listen, strengthen your powers of empathy, acknowledge privilege and oppression, find things funny, don’t waste your time with stupid things or feelings, read, keep your body and mind busy, maintain friendships, don’t be greedy, put experiences ahead of stuff. Contextualize, depersonalize, humanize: try to put everything in context, try not to take things personally, and look to find the humanity in everyone. Take care of your teeth and gums, don’t overeat, protect yourself from the sun. Seek to have contact with a diverse range of people. Spend as much time as possible in nature. Don’t bottle up the love you feel — let it flow. Build your life around family. Forgive. Choose to be happy.
GRT — April 2018
- Say I love you every day to someone you love. Practice being a loving person through small acts — volunteering, helping others, saying thank you, or just opening the door for someone.
- Express gratitude — express joy and appreciation every day — for your loved ones, your family, friends, for your work, for your abilities to think, move, exercise.
- Set big, audacious goals and work hard to achieve them. This may seem scary or unreachable but just giving yourself a goal will set you on the right path.
- Embrace pressure. It feels uncomfortable at first but you get more comfortable with it each time.
- Do not underestimate the power of your mind. By harnessing your thoughts you help to control your reality.
- Figure out a way to make a living doing something you enjoy. Don’t be afraid to talk about money and make a financial plan. Wealth is a reflection of hard work and another tool for spreading love to family and those less fortunate.
- Take care of your body — it needs to last a long time.
- Spend time with your family and friends and pursue new friends. Getting close to people creates happiness.
- Find moments when you can laugh and be silly — it will make you feel good even when you don’t feel good.
SEB — MAY 2018